Is Peer reviewing so essential?

Lise Menn Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU
Tue Mar 30 16:20:57 UTC 2010

That's a wonderful thing to do, Dan - I wish I'd thought of it. I
wonder if I still have some of those old rewrite-and-resubmit letters
around...
	Lise

On Mar 30, 2010, at 8:53 AM, Daniel L. Everett wrote:

> I think peer review by and large not only works very well, but is an
> excellent teaching tool. I have frequently taught courses on writing
> for publication in linguistics in which I begin with a ms of mine
> that has been labeled 'revise and resubmit' by a journal editor. I
> let students read it without telling them what the judgement was.
> Then I show them the comments from the journal reviewers. They are
> shocked at how, let us say, direct some reviewers are in their
> criticisms. Then I show them the ms after it has been corrected to
> respond to the reviewers' objections. No matter what they thought of
> the original version, they all agree that the final, accepted ms is
> superior and that the peer-reviewers were very helpful to the
> process, even the particularly nasty ones.
>
> This exercise also has the effect of reducing the fear of submission
> that some graduate students have. It makes them feel like 'Gee, if
> Dan can get published, anybody can. Even me.' And that of course is
> exactly what I am trying to get across in the class about publishing
> and the usefulness of peer review.
>
> Dan
>

> On Mar 30, 2010, at 7:59 AM, A. Katz wrote:
>
>> Yuri,
>>
>> I didn't see the original discussion on peer review, but you bring
>> up an interesting topic.
>>
>> In theory, peer review is invaluable as a way to check ourselves
>> and listen to constructive criticism. The problem is when peer
>> review isn't open to everyone, and manuscripts that don't come from
>> official channels don't get reviewed at all. Or the reviewer just
>> says: there are a lot of errors and sweeping generalizations here,
>> but fails to list any of the errors or the generalizations so that
>> they can be examined and corrected.
>>
>> Peer review is ultimately only as good as our peers are. If our
>> peers are the Inquisition, as Galileo's were, there we're in deep
>> trouble. But I think Einstein ultimately had some pretty good peers
>> who recognized that his discoveries were genuine, provable -- and
>> better than their work which had been funded, while his was not!
>>
>> Here's to having good peers!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>>  --Aya
>>
>> http://hubpages.com/profile/Aya+Katz
>>

>> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:
>>
>>> Johanna Nichols wrote:
>>> Self-publishing bypasses peer review, and peer review is a much more
>>> important function of journal publication than boosting careers
>>> is.  Peer
>>> review is so essential to distinguishing science from
>>> pseudoscience that I
>>> don't think it should be bypassed, at least not very often.
>>> Johanna Nichols =
>>> Is Peer reviewing so essential? Would Bruno's, Galileo's,
>>> Copernicus', Einstein's theories have been published, if they had
>>> been peer reviewed? Peer reviewing is good for trivial or average
>>> books and articles without new scientific information. Don't you
> [...]

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/index.html

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder