Job announcement

Sherman Wilcox wilcox at unm.edu
Tue Nov 2 16:08:30 UTC 2010

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
The University of New Mexico
Department of Linguistics

Position Summary:

The Department of Linguistics seeks applicants for an appointment as
Assistant Professor of Linguistics at the University of New Mexico
(UNM). This is a probationary appointment leading to a tenure decision.
The position is contingent upon final budgetary approval.

Appointment will begin in August 2011. The Ph.D. must be in hand prior
to appointment. Responsibilities will include teaching in the areas of
specialization at the undergraduate and graduate level, graduate student
mentoring, and service. Competitive salary.

UNM provides a diversified package of benefits including medical,
dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational
benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs.
For a more complete explanation of the benefits, please go to
http://hr.unm.edu/and click on the Benefits link.

The Department of Linguistics at UNM specializes in cognitive-functional
approaches to the study of language, including corpus and
empirically-based studies, cross-linguistic research, and typology. We
have special strength in Native American linguistics and language
revitalization, the study of signed languages, and Spanish linguistics.
The Navajo Language Program is housed in the department, as is the
Signed Language Interpreting Program. We also have close ties with the
Hispanic Linguistics Program in the Department of Spanish & Portuguese.
For further information on the department, please see our website
<http://www.unm.edu/~linguist>.

Minimum qualifications:

Ph.D. by August 2011 in Linguistics or a closely-related field; primary
specialization in sociolinguistics.

Preferred qualifications:

(a) secondary specialization in phonology/phonetics; (b) research and
teaching interest in languages of the Southwest; (c) excellence in
scholarship in areas of specialization; (d) orientation to empirical
research; (e) excellence in teaching.

Date for best consideration: December 1, 2010
Closing Date: Open until filled

Enquiries about this position can be addressed to: Professor Sherman
Wilcox <wilcox at unm.edu>

For details on application requirements or to apply, visit the UNMJobs
website: <https://unmjobs.unm.edu/> Please reference Posting Number 0808563.

University of New Mexico is committed to promoting and supporting the
diversity of our campuses. UNM is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer.