Does linguistics move in the correct direction?

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.ru
Tue Nov 2 20:00:01 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues, the discussion on Chomsky was very fruitful. I juxtaposed my own ideas with those on the list. I learnt a lot as a result. I wonder if we could also discuss J.Greenberg in the same way? THat is with all his pluses and minuses. I used to take part in several lists of this sort, but Funknet is the champion. People express their ideas on anything. Lingtyp list owners would have kicked out Aya and some others when they discussed Arab. They kicked me from their Lingtyp list because I asked them a very simple question "What is typology?" I am sure linguists should be allowed to discuss different thing on the list. It give much to our knowledge! I guess that general questions like "Does linguistics move in the correct direction?" or "How can we improve Genetic classification of languages?" should be allowed. Be well, Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk.