rarity of preposition stranding

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Fri Oct 1 21:40:20 UTC 2010

Copy of note to Fritz:

 From where I sit, it is all connected, both synchronically (similar
pattern) and diachronically (patterns mutating into other patterns).
There are grammatical constructions that act as context for the original
'stranding'; then you have various next-steps, eventually to (in some
cases) full lexicalization (as in Latin or Germanic). So in Rama, the
exact same configuration as in IE exists, but it is a much earlier
stage, so I can see the early 'trapping' process a bit more clearly. In
Latin & Old Gothic it's already too advanced, hard to see the
variational steps any longer, it is largely  already lexicalized. In
Rama you can see just the beginning of lexicalization, a few compound verbs.

In Klamath or Numic you can see much more, a host of it, tho you can
still see the nominal or verbal etymology of the ad-positions. In Latin
they LOOK like they should be de-verbal, as in Rama, but the etymology
is not quite as clean, too much time has pass. So you still have the
verb 'ex-it' on 'en-ter', but it's harder to find the verb 'con' or
'sur' or 'per'; tho in Spanish 'sub-ir' is still a verb meaning 'go
down/under'.

But In Bantu the grammatical process is much more advanced that in Rama,
it gotten into  REL clsauses, passives, and other derivatives from them.
And there's a considerable amount of lexicalization, mostly in
set-phrases (typical early stage) such as 'excuse me', 'thank you' 'how
are you' & more. In all these cases, you can see the role of
zero-arguments right there (missing AGT-of-passive, zero coreferent
inside the REL-clause. My las supervised African dissertation, a grammar
of Lunda (Boniface Kawasha, ca. 2002, U. Oregon) has tons of that in
REL-clauses, it is like the promotion-to-DO in Rwanda (Kimenyi 1976),
but only in REL clauses, not main clauses. I flashed on this when I did
my dissertation on Bemba (1969). Then, my supervisor, Paul Schachter,
said "you've got too much in it already, I don't want to read a whole
grammar". So eventually I dumped two boxes of data. Sic transit.

You gotta open up your classification schemata just a little bit, Fritz.
Otherwise you'll keep missing the real goodies, where the explanations
of typological differences lie--usually in plain site.  TG