post from Dianne Patterson, U.Arizona

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Sat Oct 23 12:34:51 UTC 2010

If the rest of the world wants to know about relative clauses or verb
paradigms, they consult a grammarian, hopefully one fluent in the language
in question.

While many of our colleagues who are established in the academic world do
good and useful work of an applied nature, many more are in exile from the
field, because their contributions were not accepted.

Philologists and grammarians are the ones whose work had the biggest
impact on the field in the past. We claim them as our intellectual
ancestors, but they did not call themselves linguists.

There is a real problem in this field, and rather than simply congratulate
ourselves on how great the past fifty years have been, we should ask
ourselves if any of us have contributed anything with as much lasting
value as Grimm's Law.

Best,

    --Aya