A question for Fritz

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Sat Oct 23 19:52:01 UTC 2010

Dear John,

First, Shannon is a  he, not a she.

Second, I checked the first three refs he gave, nothing there about
linguistics, tho Murray Gell-Man claims to be doing joint work with
Mwerritt Ruhlen (I know their work).

Third, I did give Fritz the ref. of Frans de Waal's article in the NY
Times (and On The Human), in which "some linguists"  (= Chomsky) are
explicitly criticized for their anti-evolutionary perspective.

One could of course go on, tho I must confess I find the stated purpose
of Fritz's endeavor somewhat baffling.  In 1992 Walter Kintch, a
well-known  psycho-linguist, wrote an article with roughly the following
quote "so now finally we discover that grammar does have a reason for
being there". This is after reading my work on grammar as an automated
discourse processor. The clear inference was "until now the Chomskians
gave us a formal device with no cognitive function whatever". Most
psycho-linguists know only of Chomsky, and tho they have found him
totally useless ("makes no behavioral/empirical  predictions"), they are
reluctant to criticize him in print. What happened to Roger Schank (who
was neither a psychologist nor a linguist) was a sharp caution. The
entire Generative propaganda machinery went after him, crunched his
tail, his poor ego never recovered. The reason they bothered with him
was that at the time Cog. Sci. was still dominated by computational
types, and  Roger, a computer guy, was perceived as a real threat. This
has radically changed now, with neuro-science dominating the agenda. The
best practitioners there either ignore Generativism (= minimalism)
altogether, or (as in the case of Angela Friederici, via Yosef
Grodzionsky) go back to the Aspects (1965) model, the last one that had
some concrete foundations (constructions, morphology).

All in all, it is a complex picture with lots of convoluted history. And
it is not ameliorated by self-proclaimed functionalists developing
"purely linguistic" descriptive models that are "a-theoretical" and
disclaim interest in explanation (and are really pure formalisms, from
my humble perspective). All this means is that the allied disciplines
(cognitive neuro-science, evolutionary anthropology/psychology,
primatology, developmental psychology), who desperately need some
substantive/empirical input from linguistics, don't get it from 'our'
side of the field either.

Best,  TG