Outsiders' views of the value of linguistics

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Sun Oct 24 07:44:46 UTC 2010

My question to Fritz had in the background the feeling that maybe something
like this might be going on in the case of the article that he was asked to
comment on--that is, that it is some sort of ad campaign for generative
linguistics and Fritz was recruited as someone who might provide legitimacy to
it (presumably without the inviter being aware that Fritz didn't necessarily
see things the same way). This would explain why (1) the article simply assumed
the great contribution of linguistics rather than demonstrating anything, (2)
linguistics was equated with generative linguistics, and (3) applied
disciplines were ruled out as irrelevant.
John