A question for Fritz

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Sun Oct 24 16:52:04 UTC 2010

To Andy Pawley's list of  highly regarded achievements of linguistics,
one might add the documentation of endangered languages. Over the last
15 years, this has become a very visible activity of linguists, and
quite a bit of additional funding has gone into it.

Note that this is somewhat different from Andy's "grammars and
dictionaries". Documentary linguists mainly collect (and annotate) texts
and archive them, leaving description (lexical and grammatical) to a
later stage.

Also, my sense is that language typology is highly respected, at least
in Europe, where it has many practitioners. When the World Atlas of
Language Structures went online, even Science reported on it (in 2008).

While Fritz is right that nonlinguists tend to sympathize with
long-range comparativists and are sometimes frustrated by the
conservatism of very traditional historical linguists, they also
recognize that linguistic evidence is very valuable for finding out
about human population history. "Language and genetics" is one of the
Max Planck Society's "research perspectives 2010+". (Note that
generative linguistics plays no role in the Max Planck institutes,
probably because it doesn't have the same prestige as historical
linguistics outside of our field.)

Greetings,
Martin