A question for Fritz

Richard Hudson dick at ling.ucl.ac.uk
Sun Oct 24 19:04:21 UTC 2010

Fritz: Just in case you haven't seen this already.  Dick

Ferreira, Fernanda (2005). Psycholinguistics, formal grammars, and
cognitive science. /The Linguistic Review/ *22*. 365-380.

ABSTRACT: In the 1980s, Charles Clifton referred to a "psycholinguistic
renaissance" in
cognitive science. During that time, there was almost unanimous agreement
that any self-respecting psycholinguist would make sure to keep abreast
of major
developments in generative grammar, because a competence model was
essential,
and the linguistic theory was the proper description of that competence.
But today, many psycholinguists are disenchanted with generative grammar.
One reason is that the Minimalist Program is difficult to adapt to
processing
models. Another is that generative theories appear to rest on a weak
empirical
foundation, due to the reliance on informally gathered grammaticality
judgments.
What can be done to remedy the situation? First, formal linguists might
follow Ray Jackendoff's recent suggestion that they connect their work more
closely to research in the rest of cognitive science. Second, syntactic
theory
should develop a better methodology for collecting data about whether a
sentence
is good or bad. A set of standards for creating examples, testing them
on individuals, analyzing the results, and reporting findings in
published work
should be established. If these two ideas were considered, linguistic
developments
might once again be relevant to the psycholinguistic enterprise.

Richard Hudson www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm