post from Dianne Patterson, U.Arizona

alex gross language at sprynet.com
Mon Oct 25 01:03:20 UTC 2010

Thanks to Richard Hudson and Aya Katz for your thoughts!

> I just think it would be extraordinary if his [Chomsky's] work had been
> ALL wrong.

Oddly enough, I have no problem at all with this notion.  Would it really be
helpful if his work turned out to be only 90% or 95% wrong? If you have not
already seen it, you just might want to take a look at "44 Reasons Why the
Chomskyans Are Mistaken" by myself and Sergio Navega.  It comes in both a
longish, full-text format and a small-chunk, easy-reading hypertext version,
they're down at the bottom of the Linguistics menu at:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex.htm

> But maybe the question to ask isn't how good other disciplines think
> linguistics is, but whether anyone else is doing 'our job' better than us.

To this question, I would juxtapose Aya Katz' point:

>  While many of our colleagues who are established in the academic world do
> good and useful work of an applied nature, many more are in exile from the
> field, because their contributions were not accepted.

How could anyone else be doing your job better, when you have not even
allowed them to begin trying to do so?  When for at least three decades the
whole field was steeped with so high a level of monomania and triumphalism
that perhaps even its chief exponent might have noted with a certain sense
of irony a similarity to Stalinism? When you have heaped so much ridicule on
opposing theories that even more recent & relatively moderate observers like
Pinker & Deutscher have also found it necessary to devalue the Whorf-Sapir
approach?

Precisely why have culture and local beliefs no place in the formation and
hence also the analysis of language?  I challenge any of you to answer this
question without falling back into generative dogma and generative jargon.

Also, why was it de rigueur over several decades for mainstreamers to
pillory Whorf for his claim that the Inuit have a number of words for
"snow," yet it suddenly became okay and primely Chomskyan for Searchinger in
his film "The Human Language" to show that Arabic can have many words for
"camel," replete with scenes of numerous snorting camels?  I would love to
hear a non-terminological, non-obfuscative answer to this question.

All the best to everyone!

alex