A problematic prediction of nativism

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Oct 26 08:26:20 UTC 2010

John,

Dan's point about Phil Lieberman's assertion is a very good one, I think,
but I did not take it to be specifically about phonetics. There are people
who can't articulate at all, and they can still acquire a language
whose normal mode of expression is through articulation. A child born with
a damaged larynx has no trouble picking up whatever language is spoken
around him or her. If a writing system is available, the child will be
just as fluent as anyone at writing that language. In the local population
where I live, here in the Ozarks, there are children who can't make a very
good "r" sound, but this does not affect their ability to communicate
effectively in English.

If we compare parrots and chimpanzees, clearly parrots have an advantage
in articulating human languages, despite being less closely related to
humans genetically than chimpanzees. What really counts as language is
not the sounds, but the use of the system of contrasts to express
information. So, when I was comparing Alex's achievements with Bow's, I
was comparing Bow's use of spelling in English and Hebrew with Alex's use
of articulation, but the measure of whether it was language was at a much
higher level of encoding and decoding.

Overall, there is no evidence that general intelligence, rather than a
specific language module in the brain, cannot account for language
processing in real time.

    --Aya