An eye opener

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Oct 26 20:51:38 UTC 2010

Yuri,

It is not my parrot I speak of. I am speaking of parrots belonging to
other people. Have you heard of Irene Pepperberg's work with Alex, the
African Grey Parrot? That parrot is now deceased, but the work is
documented.

Irene Pepperberg is very careful not to make immodest claims about Alex's
achievements and to couch her artciles in scientific jargon that is
acceptable for publication, but if you watch the videos, you can judge for
yourself. She did not teach Alex how to pronounce the words. She taught
him about colors and shapes. The articulatory gestures were something he
had to figure out all on his own.

Since embarking on my work with Bow, I have informally met with many
parrot owners who have experienced this and more with their parrots. As
a linguist, I was taught to believe that parrots only imitated sound, but
did not understand meaning. Parrot owners, on the other hand, can tell you
that parrots will spontaneously announce that it is time for their
favorite TV show, or that the family car is now approaching their home
town. Nobody taught them to say these things.

Even so, as a linguist and a primatologist I would caution against putting
too much emphasis on the ability to pronounce well. That chimpanzees have
a harder time pronouncing (and in fact cannot be understood when they try
to speak a human language) does not take away from the ability to
understand and express themselves using written symbols -- and in fact,
their ability to distinguish phonemes is no worse than a parrot's.

Best,

    --Aya

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-Constitutes-Proof-in-Ape-Language-Studies