Chomsky

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Thu Oct 28 17:47:33 UTC 2010

Keith,

I agree with you that it is crucial that we understand whether the
capacity for language is shared across species.

I don't agree that proof that a child is aware of the meaning of what he
is saying is held to an equal standard as proof for a non-human.

If you ask a child in a controlled setting which of several objects on the
table is blue, and the child picks the blue object, the researcher writing
up the experiment does not have to go into a big long discussion about how
the child's understanding of "blue", or the syntax of the entire question,
is not proof that the child has acquired human language.

    --Aya