Chomsky

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Sat Oct 30 18:42:09 UTC 2010

Keith,

Overall that was a very useful suggestion concerning the standards
established by language pathologists to assess first language learning.

However, I'm a little more skeptical that these tests are effective at
detecting problems with "general language ability" as opposed to the
success of a particular child with the acquisition of a specific language.

There are numerous stories about language delay experts being unable to
independently detect the difference between general language delay and the
fact that the child in question is not a speaker of the particular
language being tested.

To my knowledge, there is no test of generalized language ability even for
humans.

    --Aya