Glottal stops

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Sat Oct 30 19:39:03 UTC 2010

I meant glottalized sounds, not simple glottal stops--the glottalized sounds
essentially have glottal stops as secondary articulations. In relation to
frequency of occurrence--and since you said you've done frequency counts--
I should say that I remember having the impression when I was looking at Mayan
languages that--aside from the fact that highland languages almost always have
the uvular glottal stop while lowland languages almost never do--the general
frequency of glottal stops was much higher in highland languages like Quiche
than lowland languages like Yucatec. I was doing text analyses of word order
variation, not frequency of occurrence of different phonemes, but I remember
having this impression very clearly. Would you happen to have done any
studies of any of these languages?
Best wishes,
John