apply exact or objective methods

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.ru
Sun Oct 31 12:46:46 UTC 2010

Aya Katz wrote=
Yuri,
The answer to your question might depend on whether we believe in
monogenesis or not.
= That's it! Linguistics is a set of believers. Linguists just believe or not. Usually, they do not care to apply exact or objective methods. Why should I believe in monogenesis of language? Or on the contrary, why should I not believe in monogenesis? Is linguistics a science or a religion? Is linguistics just for believers? Why should a linguist be a beliver if he can prove theories, like in biology, chemistry, physics, etc? Why should I belive that this language has a lot of gutturals if I can calculate them? Write back to yutamb at mail.ru Be well, Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia