analysis: unhappiness

Johanna Rubba jrubba at calpoly.edu
Wed Sep 8 15:26:29 UTC 2010

One thing that consistently occurs in my intro linguistics classes is
that at least half of my students do not analyze complex words the
way a linguist would -- many would analyze "unhappiness" as "un" +
"happiness." They make such analyses over and over. It makes one
wonder, of course, about how much native-speaker intuition is in
agreement with some linguistic analyses. I can *feel* that the
analysis is [[un-happy]-ness], but, apparently, large numbers of
native speakers cannot.

Another thing I often find is that many students cannot locate either
primary or (especially) secondary stress in words. This is very
bizarre, considering that they produce the stresses correctly and
hear them correctly in others' speech. So many are unsuccessful at
this that I have stopped requiring them to find stress in words on
tests. I give them tricks like singing the word and monitoring for
the highest-pitched syllable, but the tricks don't work. That many
students can't be tone-deaf.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374