Audit of School-Leavers' Grammatical Knowledge

Damien Hall djh514 at york.ac.uk
Wed Sep 8 17:18:49 UTC 2010

Inspired by the 'unhappiness' thread and the subsequent reflections on what
grammar / grammatical terms students do and do not know, I'm reposting here
a link to something that I saw on the LINGUIST List this morning, in case
others did not see it.

Dick Hudson would appreciate it if colleagues not in the UK would
administer an apparently simple questionnaire to their beginning-level
Linguistics classes, to gauge the amount of grammatical terminology they
know when they enter University (ie after their high-school education).
Further details are on LINGUIST, here:

http://linguistlist.org/pubs/sums/query-details.cfm?submissionid=2646814

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK