analysis: unhappiness

Johanna Rubba jrubba at calpoly.edu
Thu Sep 9 01:20:17 UTC 2010

The reason I make much of my students' disagreements with linguists' analyses is that, at least as I recall from my graduate education, native-speaker intuitions were routinely used in defense of analyses of sentence structure. I agree completely with Lise that introspection alone is not sufficient for defending an analysis.

I never meant to suggest that my students store complex words disconnected from their component parts. Such a notion would be bizarre for a practitioner of Cognitive Grammar. Plus, the behavior I described doesn't contradict network connections; it challenges the usefulness of NS intuitions, which would, in turn, challenge analyses defended based on same. It's odd that, in some cases, students' tacit knowledge can be brought to consciousness, and in other cases not.

It seems clear that context (including priming) affects a language-user's analysis. Certainly, many expressions that sound odd out of context sound perfectly fine in a suitable context.

Jo