analysis: unhappiness

Matthew S. Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Thu Sep 9 14:42:16 UTC 2010

Aya proposes a possible alternative hypothesis, but my point is that whether this
alternative is correct or not is not a question of whether it "makes more sense",
but an empirical question that can really only be decided on the basis of
psycholinguistic evidence.

Matthew

On Thu 09/09/10 10:27 AM , "A. Katz" amnfn at well.com sent:
> The use of "unhappier" is idiosyncratic and not universal among
> English speakers. Rather than assuming that a person who says "unhappier"
> has a very complicated rule about trisyllabic words beginning in "un",
> would it not make more sense to see this as an indication that for this particular
> speaker, the derivation of "unhappy" is opague? That is, the word
> is treated as an indivisible whole.
>
> On the other hand, a speaker who says "more unhappy" is probably
> aware of the derivation of unhappy and takes it into account when applying the rule
> for comparatives.
>
> Best,
>
> --Aya
>

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Matthew S. Dryer wrote:
>

> > Two comments.
> >
> > First (elaborating perhaps on Dick Hudson's
> comment), I think there is an> important distinction between low-level
> linguistic intuitions (like whether a> word or sentence is well-formed or what it
> means) and higher-level intuitions> (like what the structure of a word or sentence
> is).  One can take the position> that we need to account for the former (while
> recognizing that they are not> always reliable) but not the latter.
> >
> > Second, the tension here is not only between
> evidence from speaker intuitions> versus evidence from psycholinguistic
> experiments.  There is also a tension> between deciding on the correct analysis
on the
> basis of a priori simplicity> arguments versus deciding on the correct
> analysis on the basis of> psycholinguistic evidence (see Derwing 1973).
> The bracketing paradox that Dan> referred to that arises with the word
> <unhappier> (semantics argues for> [[un+happi] + er], morphology and phonology
> argues for [un + [happi+er]] (the> comparative suffix can only be attached to
> adjectives containing one or two> syllables) is only a paradox if one assumes that
> speakers adopt the simplest> analysis.  For example, if speakers adopt a more
> complex rule for either of these> (e.g. perhaps the rule for attaching -er can
> apply exceptionally to trisyllabic> words beginning with un-), then the bracketing
> paradox disappears.>
> > Matthew
> >
> > On Thu 09/09/10  8:16 AM , Richard Hudson dick at ling
> .ucl.ac.uk sent:>> Thanks Dan. I'm sure you're right, and I'd
> be the first to agree that>> conscious judgements are only one kind of
> evidence that we need to take>> into account. I admire Carson Schutze's work
> (which I reviewed in fact),>> and of course I've been aware of complaints
> about judgements by people>> like Labov for decades.
> >>
> >> But you're missing my main point, which is
> that all judgements aren't>> equally reliable.  If you want to know how
> /unhappiness/ is structured,>> ask a linguist, not a five-year old. And one
> of the by-products of>> education may be increased sensitivity to
> syntax - which is one of the>> many reasons why linguists need to pay more
> [...]
Daniel Everett