analysis: phenomenological vs. cognitive

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Fri Sep 10 11:18:34 UTC 2010

Lise Menn wrote:
> I wish we had better terminology for keeping track of whether, at a
> given time, we are talking about the patterns that are 'out there' in
> the language and might possibly be apprehended (subconsciously) by a
> speaker, and when we are talking about the patterns that a particular
> speaker actually does apprehend, as indicated by experiments, from
> simple 'wug tests' up to brain wave and eye-gaze studies.
I suggested two terms for these kinds of patterns in a 2004 paper
(reference below):

– phenomenological description (for what is "out there", or "grammars
that are based simply on the form-meaning correspondences", in Edith
Moravcsik's terms)

– cognitive description (for what a speaker has in their head)

In the paper my main claim is that we don't really need cognitive
description in order to explain the patterns of languages in functional
terms (just as Darwin didn't need full descriptions of genomes to come
up with functional explanations of the phenomenological properties of
species).

In generative linguistics, of course, one needs a unique "analysis" for
each structure, because explanation and description/analysis are the
same enterprise (just two different aspects of it), whereas in
functional linguistics, description and explanation are separate. Thus,
the fact that the best cognitive description is somewhat elusive doesn't
matter to this approach.

Martin

Reference:
Haspelmath, Martin. 2004. Does linguistic explanation presuppose
linguistic description? Studies in Language 28. 554-579.
(doi:10.1075/sl.28.3.06has)

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6