"Relative clauses" with no relativized ele

Arie Verhagen Arie.Verhagen at hum.LeidenUniv.nl
Fri Sep 10 16:21:10 UTC 2010

And as another addition: the clauses that can only be introduced by *that* (with no role to
play in the subordinate clause) may be seen as (subtypes of) complement clauses,
expressing a proposition with the noun functioning as Complement Taking Predicate (CTP),
expressing a propostional attitude, epistemic/evaluative stance, etc. (following analyses by
Thompson, Diessel, Langacker, myself, and others), i.e. not relatives. Cf. constructions like
"The claim is that X" (traditionally analysed as subject clauses), "I claim that X", "I put forward
the claim that X", in which the relationship between the verb or noun and the that-clause is
comparable to the one in "The claim that X".

--Arie Verhagen

Message from Rong Chen <rchen at csusb.edu>
10 Sep 2010, 23:42
Subject: Re: [FUNKNET] "Relative clauses" with no relativi