"Relative clauses" with no relativized element

Suzanne Kemmer kemmer at rice.edu
Fri Sep 10 17:55:30 UTC 2010

Talmy, yes Joan B did not invent noun complements nor
the term for them; but my recollection, in passing, was that she
named 'that' in such structures as "complementizer" (and I also
recall that she referred to 'that' relativizers  with the same term,
while recognizing other differences between the two structures.)

I may be wrong on that, but it's a different recollection, claim, or whatever,
than the one you refer to.

Not all the head nouns are nominalizations, but most are.
S.