analysis: unhappiness

dryer at buffalo.edu dryer at buffalo.edu
Fri Sep 10 18:51:45 UTC 2010

The following sentence of Lise's

"Since we don't in fact have such an agreed-on terminology, we have to  be
quite careful in making clear what we are referring to when we talk  about
'the correct analysis' of a form like 'unhappiness'"

suggests that there are two senses in which an analysis can be "the correct
analysis", one in terms of what is in people's heads, the other in terms of
what is "out there".

There are a vast number of patterns "out there".  The only distinction, on
my view, amongst this vast number of patterns, is between those that
reflect something inside people's heads and those that don't.  But if that
is the case, then there is no coherent sense in which one can talk of "the
correct analysis" of what is "out there", except in terms of what is in
people's heads, and thus no second sense of "the correct analysis".  The
patterns that don't correspond to things in people's heads fall into (at
least) two categories.  There are those that are akin to constellations of
stars and, as with constellations, there is no reality to these patterns,
except in the minds of linguists.  And there are those patterns which are
the fossil remains of what was in the heads of speakers of an earlier stage
of the language but which no longer are.  These latter patterns are real,
and they are relevant to exlaining why the language is now the way it is,
but they are not relevant, I think many would agree, as to what is the
"correct analysis" of the language today.

For this reason, I claim that the only sense in which an analysis can be
"the correct analysis" is in terms of what is inside of people's heads.

Again, I recommend the work of Bruce Derwing for lengthy discussion of
these issues.

Matthew

--On Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:26 PM -0600 Lise Menn
<Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Thanks Dan. I'm sure you're right, and I'd be the first to agree that
>>> conscious judgements are only one kind of evidence that we need to
>>> take
>>> into account. I admire Carson Schutze's work (which I reviewed in
>>> fact),
>>> and of course I've been aware of complaints about judgements by
>>> people
>>> like Labov for decades.
>>>
>>> But you're missing my main point, which is that all judgements aren't
>>> equally reliable.  If you want to know how /unhappiness/ is
>>> structured,
>>> ask a linguist, not a five-year old. And one of the by-products of
>>> education may be increased sensitivity to syntax - which is one of
>>> the
>>> many reasons why linguists need to pay more attention to education.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,  Dick
>>>
>>> Richard Hudson www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm

>>> methodology. I believe that intuitions are a fine way to generate
>>> hypotheses and even to test them - to a degree. But while it might
>>> not have
>>> been feasible for Huddleston, Pullum, and the other contributors to
>>> the
>>> Cambridge Grammar to conduct experiments on every point of the
>>> grammar,
>>> experiments could have only made the grammar better. The use of
>>> intuitions,
>>> corpora, and standard psycholinguistic experimentation (indeed,
>>> Standard
>>> Social Science Methodology)  is vital for taking the field forward
>>> and for
>>> providing the best support for different analyses. Ted Gibson and Ev
>>> Fedorenko have written a very useful new paper on this, showing
>>> serious
>>> shortcomings with intuitions as the sole source of evidence, in their
>>> paper: "The need for quantitative methods in syntax and semantics
>>> research".>
>>> have also written convincingly on this.>
>>> (Brain and Cognitive Science), and researchers from Brazil are
>>> beginning a
>>> third round of experimental work among the Pirahas, since my own
>>> work on
>>> the syntax was, like almost every other field researcher's, based
>>> on native
>>> speaker intuitions and corpora.>
>>> the initial reactions to Greenberg's work on classifying the
>>> languages of
>>> the Americas. His methods were strongly (and justifiably) criticized.
>>> However, I always thought that his methods were a great way of
>>> generating
>>> hypotheses, so long as they were ultimately put to the test of
>>> standard
>>> historical linguistics methods. And the same seems true for use of
>>> native-speaker intuitions.>

>>> explanation to the judgements, but some judgements do seem to be more
>>> reliable than others. And if we have to wait for psycholinguistic
>>> for every detailed analysis we make, our whole discipline will