FUNKNET] analysis: unhappiness

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Sun Sep 12 16:19:46 UTC 2010

Tom,

I understand the uncomfortable association with Chomsky that speaking of
language apart from people can have. Competence versus performance, the
way Chomsky used those terms, never made sense. But that's precisely because
he associated "competence" with the brain and suggested that it was hard
wired there -- when there was never any evidence of that.

However, if we don't distinguish language from humans, and language
processing from language data, then how are we going to judge artificial
language-using devices as to their efficacy at producing and interpreting
language? How are we going to determine whether and to what extent a
non-human has acquired language?

We aren't born with it. We don't embody it. It's a tool that we use to
communicate. Other tools can be studied separately from the people who use
them or created them. Why not language?

--Aya