FUNKNET] analysis: unhappiness

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Mon Sep 13 22:04:31 UTC 2010

A. Katz wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Okay, I'm glad that you agree that a language user might be a machine or a
> non-human. That brings us much closer together. Nevertheless, there is
> also the fact that language can be preserved, but not used, for
> thousands of years, and then people start using it again.

Again, I would say that artifacts of language can be preserved separately
from language users, but not language itself. To my way of thinking,
language is the processes by which such artifacts are created and used
(when artifacts are involved at all). Those processes are synonymous with
language use and they cannot be divorced from their embodiment, the
language user.

> If it were an biological process, or even something like a live virus
> passed down from parent to child, then reviving it once it was dead would
> be
> impossible. But it's not. It's a tool. A tool that a group of people can
> stop using and making, but keep the blue prints for, and then make it
> again when they choose to.
>
> I wonder how many linguists realize that Hebrew was revived from a dead
> language.

I would assume most of us do. But I would also assume that most of us
realize that Modern Hebrew was engineered to capture the available data in
and about the dead language, not the language itself. There's no way to
revive a dead language because all of its embodiments are, like, dead.

To my mind, Modern Hebrew was created by tracing over a palimpsest.

> How many think it is just a slavic language with Hebrew lexemes?

I can't imagine any linguist who would think that. I might be wrong, I guess.

> How many realize that the grammar, the triliteral roots, the derivational
> system, are all working, and that any changes in pronunciation are of
> little importance when the basic contrasts are preserved?

This is all Ling 101 stuff, where I'm from, since Hebrew is the most
culturally salient Semitic language in these parts, and Semitic is an
important part of typological space with its triliteral and quadriliteral
roots. Some people's mileage might vary, I guess.

> Mark, if you can see that a language can be used by a non-human, then why
> not also acknowledge that it's a system for transferring information, and
> that the code can be preserved while in disuse?

First, I accept that language is a tool in a far-from-prototypical sense
(it's not a wrench, but it's not eating, either). As I said, a tool is as
a tool does, and since language can be used as a tool, it's a tool,
trivially, when it's being used as a tool. My point has been that not
everything worth knowing about language profits from the insight that
language can be a tool, and that that insight is not enough to justify the
study of language separately from any of its observed or potential
embodiments (and that, in fact, I know of nothing that might justify a
reductionist approach of that order).

Second, though, and more importantly, I most emphatically do not believe
that ***THE*** code of ***A*** language is preserved by any finite volume
of preserved text, for at least two related reasons:

1. There's no such thing as THE code of A language, so the whole endeavor
suffers from presupposition failure. Every embodiment (like you, and me)
has its own code. Communication ensues more or less effectively when a
speaker and hearer are using codes that overlap to a sufficient degree,
all the way up and down the chain from phonology to ontological
commitment.

2. Even if we stipulated some "common code" that was shared (perfectly, or
within some variationist framework) by some community of speakers, no
amount of preserved text and/or grammatical description would suffice to
preserve that common code.

I would also note that, the farther you go from the artifacts of language
to  the code we postulate as existing in the minds of speaker/hearers, the
less likely you're going to understand anything about it without taking
the exigencies of the embodiment into account.

My favorite example of this is the ease with which a language can be
constructed (constructed as in Esperanto and Klingon) in which center
embedding is rampant, the ease with which software parsers and generators
can be built for such languages, and the abject difficulties any human
being will have speaking or understanding any such language.

-- Mark

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Bartlesville, OK