A poet slips

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 30 08:25:21 UTC 2010

When I learned to read Arabic on the kibbutz (Maabarot) as a child, our
textbook was of written COLLOQUIAL Falastini Arabic. We never got to
Classical (after 1949 things changed...).  That book may still exist,
you might track it down. It was easy, a cinch really. I concluded it was
really just Hebrew with a few trivial transformations in Phonology &
Grammar. (I was 7 years old & a bit naive then). Then 7 years ago I sat
on a few sessions of a faculty study group at UO who were trying to
learn Arabic (post 9/11...)--from a Classical Koranic grammar book. Boy,
it was like pullin' teeth. But Leonard Bloomfield said it already, and
well, in 1939 (or was it 1943?).
Cheers,  TG