A poet slips

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Thu Sep 30 12:42:11 UTC 2010

Tom,

I feel the need to point out a few things:

1) There are no Arab students in the Israeli primary schools. There are
those whose native language is Arabic, but they are not ethnically Arabs.
Israeli citizens who do not identify as Israeli used to think of themselves as
fellahin and now often identify as Palestinian -- precisely because they
were not allowed to go to an integrated school where the only language
spoken is Hebrew. They are ethnically Judeans who never went away.

2) The language of Genesis is the language that was revived by Zionists in
the 19th century. I learned to read Hebrew in the language of Genesis.
(And yes, I was born in Israel.) My father learned to read Hebrew in the
language of Genesis. He was born in Poland. It was his first language,
and the first language he was literate in. His parents were Zionists
who learned to read Hebrew in the language of the OT. If it were not for
people who learned to read Hebrew in the language of Genesis, there would be no
native Hebrew speakers in the world today.

Right cortex or left is a personal matter, depending on how you are wired.
Left handers and right handers do it differently. But native speaker or
oursider has everything to do with how you are treated and which school
you go to.

      --Aya

http://hubpages.com/hub/ISRAEL-The-Two-Halves-of-the-Nation

http://hubpages.com/hub/My-Grandfathers-Voice-Recordings-of-Benzion-Katz