Learning to read Hebrew

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Thu Sep 30 14:27:30 UTC 2010

Mira,

My story is in fact a little unusual. While I grew up in Israel, I went to
first and second grade in the United States. I had picked up a little
reading when I was five, but as you can imagine, I was rusty by the time
we returned to Israel and I was expected to go into third grade.

My grandfather, who was then the Rector of the University of Tel-Aviv,
brought me a Bible and made me start reading Genesis out loud to him. He
made me do this until he was satisfied that my reading was good enough for
third grade.

In third grade, we read the old testament in its unexpurgated and uncut
form. I believe we started on Judges, because I had missed out on some
of the earlier books.

I would like to emphasize that none of my classmates needed a translation
from Biblical to "modern" Hebrew. I know that in academic circles much is
made of the difference, but believe me Biblical texts are intelligible to
modern day readers. The difference in more like that between Shakespeare
and today's English. It is not like the difference between Chaucer and
modern English.

There's a lot of politics that goes on in academic circles to make
mountains out of molehills where minute differences between different
versions of the same language are concerned.

However, if one insists on modern day school children
unable to understand the old language, not making them read it in
school is the best first step. We know what we use.

    --Aya

  http://hubpages.com/hub/My-Grandfathers-Voice-Recordings-of-Benzion-Katz