Nature article in the news

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:31:24 UTC 2011

Thanks Dan,

I managed to get the link to the original article

Evolved structure of language shows lineage-specific trends in word-order
universals<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature09923.html>

and there is also a similar (to the LA Times) but perhaps more informative
general article at Nature
News<http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110413/full/news.2011.231.html>with
some "sober" reflection from Martin towards the end.

Cheers,
Shannon

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Daniel Everett <dan at daneverett.org> wrote:

> Thanks for this, Shannon. Fascinating stuff.
>
> My book-length study on culture and language (Cognitive Fire: Language as
a Cultural Tool)  will be out from Random House in early 2012.  The folks in
NZ are doing some interesting research. Michael Corballis's new book, The
Recursive Mind: The Origins of Human Language, Thought, and Civilization (
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9424.html) is almost out and looks to be a
very worthwhile read.

http://www.latimes.com/topic/health/human-body/genes-chromosomes-HHA000024.topic

http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/noam-chomsky-PECLB000974.topic>'s