Origins of human language in Southern Africa?

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Sat Apr 16 18:13:10 UTC 2011

Absolutely, John, ****in'-insane-ridiculous; especially now that Ellen
Contini-Morava has sent me the original. An ignoramus who knows nothing
of language change, and does not understand the radical difference
between genetic evolution, where multiple, in-sequence developmental
stages are preserved virtually intact in the genome, and historical
language change, where phonological and grammatical systems undergo
repeated RE-CYCLING, are ground down to zero, and then start all over
again (and again, and again)--often along rather different typological
dimensions.

What worries me most, I suppose, are esteemed colleagues in linguistics
who should surely know better and still seem to encourage this kind of
nonsense. To allow ignorami from other fields to trash our discipline
and peddle their shoddy wares to gullible media babblers like Nicholas
Wade is truly self-defeating. But--to quote Paddy Shaemus O'Sullivan
("Weep Not My Children", 1959)--Weep not, my children, for I still
amused. Cheers, TG