Origins of human language in Southern Africa?

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Sun Apr 17 06:51:07 UTC 2011

There are so many problems with Atkinson's claims that it is difficult to know
where to begin. First of all, you can't just point out statistical patterns
without some connection to reality--arguments about ambiguity are just
irrelevant. I am extremely familiar with sociolinguistic research on ongoing
phonological changes, including gaining or losing phonemic distinctions, and I
have never heard of a change motivated by or prevented by considerations of
ambiguity. Of those cases for which some motivation can be identified, the main
reason for change is language contact, e.g. Ashkenazic Jews couldn't pronounce
the Hebrew pharyngeals so they got lost, and now Sephardic Israelis are losing
the pharyngeals as well, immigrants to Hawaii from e.g. China and Japan
couldn't pronounced the English dental fricatives so they turned into stops,
etc. In some cases phonemes are simply borrowed from another language (e.g. the
English postalveolar voiced fricative from French). For many changes, the
motivation isn't clear but has no connection with ambiguity--for example the
English velar nasal became a phoneme rather than an allophone of /n/ when the
velar stop stopped being pronounced in final position--who knows why? Short a
has divided into two phonemes in the northeastern US (so that e.g. in NYC the
vowel in 'dad' and 'bad' are different) but not in the Midwest--who knows why?
None of these have anything to do with ambiguity. It's possible to identify
cases in which an ambiguity argument can be made (and in some cases IS made by
people who don't know any better)--for example by saying that the phoneme split
in the northeastern US helps to distinguish between 'can' and 'can't'
considering that the t is often not pronounced or reduced to a
barely-perceivable glottal stop--but this can hardly explain an entire phonemic
category.

Apart from this, there is the entire question about 'what is a language?'
In some cases, languages are defined very narrowly, resulting in smaller numbers
of speakers; in other cases, languages are defined very broadly, resulting in
greater numbers of speakers. When a language is defined more broadly,
phonological analyses will in some cases require more phonemes.
For example, if one were to consider the Arabic spoken in Haifa to be a language
rather than a dialect of a larger language, it would have fewer phonemes because
of mergers between dental fricatives and stops and also between the voiceless
uvular stop and the glottal stop--but since it's considered to be a dialect of
a larger language, the [q] and the dental fricatives are considered to be
'underlying' different phonemes. This has nothing to do with anything that
Atkinson mentions.
John