difference in form without difference in meaning

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 4 22:29:53 UTC 2011

Many if not all examples of on-going grammatical change are like that,
Fritz (as is the English ex. you cited). And therefore the phenomenon
must be massive--because you can find MANY constructions in the grammar
that are are RIGHT NOW/THEN in the midst of change. At that point, some
people would call this "free variation". Out of which there are two
major venues: (a)  the old firms will obsolesce; (b) the two forms will
diverge in meaning. I've also seen people trying to describe this
presumably-transitory stage as "a conservative dialect vs. a progressive
dialect". But as I go now over my Ute texts, I find numerous examples
where the same (old) speaker, in the same text, uses either the more
conservative form or the more progressive one without batting an
eyelash, sometime in consecutive sentences that repeat the very same
material. So, cognitively, we've got to assume that during this
(presumably transitory)stage, speakers know both forms, and know that
they have the same semantic & pragmatic value.

Now, is this stage really all that transitory? Tony Naro has noted that
such "coexisting forms" can go for a long time, with the dominant old
form comprising 90% of the text-instances and the innovative form(s)
5-10%. Then at a certain point there is a very rapid shift in
frequencies. This gives you an "S-shaped learning curve", much like in
the psychology of learning. Most of us who observed this curve don't
know what triggers the beginning of the rapid change.  TG