difference in form without difference in meaning

Victor K. Golla Victor.Golla at humboldt.edu
Fri Aug 5 04:22:31 UTC 2011

Fritz--

> I had always been quite skeptical of Dwight Bolinger's idea that
> differences in (lexical and syntactic) form always correlate with
> meaning differences. But I have become less skeptical recently

I think Bolinger was merely paraphrasing Bloomfield, according to whom
the "fundamental assumption of linguistics" (i.e., "In certain
communities some speech-utterances are alike as to form and meaning")

          implies that each linguistic form has a constant and specific
          meaning.  If the ... forms are different, we suppose that their
          meanings also are different....We suppose, in short, that there
          are no actual synonyms (Language, 1933, 144-45).

Bloomfield, however, was at pains to confine this "somewhat rigid
analysis of speech-forms" to "the descriptive phase of linguistics" in
which pragmatic, sociolinguistic, and diachronic variation is
purposely ignored. But "when we deal with the historical change of
language, we shall be concerned with facts for which our assumption
does not hold good" (ibid, 158).

--Victor Golla