difference in form without difference in meaning

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 5 16:31:57 UTC 2011

John did an excellent job in showing some of the complexities involved
in the actual process of change. One possible implication is, perhaps,
that such complexity can be captured in neither the Generative nor
Varb-rule perspective. The cognitive implication outstrip the
theoretical machinery of either of these "theories".

Perhaps one thing to remember concerns the time-course issue: The
data-base for the study of 16th Cent. English is, exclusively,written
texts. That genre tends to be, sometimes, centuries behind the actual
changes, which took place, almost exclusively, in the spoken language.
Often, the low-frequency variants characteristic of the slow first part
of the S-shaped curve are completely ignored in the written language,
which tends to go with the higher-frequency (well-established) form, and
thus appears to be "more generative". This gives a false impression of a
much faster curve of , i.e., the middle portion of the SW-shaped curve.
Lynn Yang & I made this observation when studying the rise of the
GET-passive in English. It was nigh impossible to find examples in
19th-century writing--till we got to sampling Huck Finn, which is
deliberately pitched toward the colloquial. All of a sudden, seemingly
with no gradual prep time, the frequencies jumped up. Which suggested to
us that the mature (tho still largely adversive) GET-passive
construction may have been lurking around for a long time prior, perhaps
centuries, in the spoken language . Cheers,  TG