Standardizing relativization in Dinka (and other languages?)

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Sun Dec 11 16:00:07 UTC 2011

     Yes, I agree with Mike.  Relative clauses may exist in English and
biblical Greek, but they don't exist in every language.  A consistent
strategy for translating something does not require changing the grammar
of the target language.

     If the Dinka speakers don't have texts, you need to just listen to
them.  Relative clauses are just a way to identify a thing based on the
activity or state it's involved in.  How do they do that spontaneously?
If they do it differently from the way we do, or from the way the
Evangelists did, maybe their way is better.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com