Standardizing relativization in Dinka

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Sun Dec 11 18:20:15 UTC 2011

> Or do you know of any languages which are
> used for all written functions which DON'T have relative clauses? I don't.
Japanese is an example of a language that renders English Relative
Clauses by a clause type that does not correspond very closely to them.
As Matsumoto (1997) and Comrie (1998) have argued convincingly, Japanese
clauses that are translated by English Relative Clauses in fact have
broader functions and do not have gaps the way English Relative Clauses do.

Since different languages generally have different categories (Croft
2001, Haspelmath 2007), it is not surprising to find languages with
categories that don't match English categories closely.

However, if one wants to translate large amounts of texts from a source
language to a target language, it is inconvenient if one doesn't have a
reasonably close match between categories. Bible translators have often
more or less arbitrarily chosen certain patterns in the target language
to make their lives easier, and if they have enough authority, speakers
may accept the disortions of their language, and after a while even
regard the missionaries' language as prestigious.

I think this is an interesting phenomenon, but I wonder whether Funknet
is the right place to give advice to applied linguists who are engaged
in this kind of (perhaps in some ways useful, but also rather
questionable) enterprise.

Martin