[Fwd: PRESS RELEASE: FAU Graduate Students Offer Speech Therapy Via Webcam to Republic of Rwanda Citizens]

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Fri Feb 4 04:10:05 UTC 2011

Yes, Angus gets it right. Terminology is part of the power/money play of
medical organizations. Optometrists have explicit rules about it (a
brochure put out by the New York State Optometrics Association recommended
that clients should be referred to as "patients", the receptionist should
be a "nurse", to insist on the title "Doctor", etc.)

I too wondered if there isn't a bit of global rivalry surfacing here
between the British and American accents. There's quite a story to be told
about this, I think.

Paul

--
Paul J. Hopper
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of Humanities