Non-fluent native speakers of Navajo

Marc Ettlinger marc at northwestern.edu
Wed Feb 9 18:34:07 UTC 2011

I find the anecdote below fascinating - that L1 speakers of Navajo may
not be considered fluent well into adulthood.
Is there any actual evidence that this isn't simply a "kids these days
mangle the language" type of comment (which you'd probably get from
old English speakers commenting on whether American teens speak
English correctly, as well) or something having to do with the
influence of language contact on younger learners?

More generally, I'd be curious to hear about any evidence of people
still learning their first language past their teens that isn't simply
an instance of language change.

People generally write about language decline in older speakers - if
there are cases where adults are still learning, I imagine it's been
written up somewhere?

Thanks,
Marc

Message: 7