Roseta Stone: Redux

Lise Menn lise.menn at Colorado.EDU
Wed Feb 9 23:00:53 UTC 2011

that's right.  And child language and pidgin aren't the same, in any
case, for any language I know about, any more than any of them are
telegrams.  But there are arcane reaches of languages that most people
don't learn, confounding the definition of what 'acquire' means:
Japanese honorifics and noun classifiers have elegant refinements,
crafts and professions have jargons...

On Feb 9, 2011, at 1:50 PM, A. Katz wrote:

> I seem to recall that in "The Evolution of Language Out of Pre-
> Language" Dan Slobin had a sort of dissenting article at the end in
> which he mentioned that Turkish children use grammatical morphology
> at the one word level, so that they are never actually speaking a
> pidgin Turkish at any point in their language development.
>
>  --Aya
>
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Craig Hancock wrote:
>
>> Brian,
>>   This strikes as a bit like Lake Woebegone (Where all the children
>> are above average).
>>
>> normal Danish children all learn good Danish and become fluent
>> readers
>>
>>  Is acquiring a language totally separate from the uses of that
>> language? Are we just acquiring the forms and then differing in our
>> ability to put them to use or are the uses themselves a major part
>> of what we are acquiring? Are lexicon and syntax wholly separate,
>> or do we go on acquiring the lexico-grammar as we enter more deeply
>> into adult worlds of discourse?
>>   Anyone in literacy education knows that too many American
>> children fail to reach high levels of fluency as readers and
>> writers. Doesn't that somehow mean they have failed to acquire the
>> language?
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On 2/9/2011 2:04 PM, Brian MacWhinney wrote:
>>> Fritz,
>>> There are studies in places like the Journal of Child Language by
>>> Dorthe Bleses, Hans Basbøl, and colleagues at Southern Denmark
>>> University on the delay of the acquisition of Danish phonology in
>>> comparison to other European languages, mostly attributed to the
>>> complexities of the vowel system and the various assimilatory
>>> processes.  There is a corresponding delay in the acquisition of
>>> reading by Danish children that was observed in the cross-European
>>> PISA project.  All of this is well documented in the literature,
>>> but it is rather marginal and transitory.  Eventually, normal
>>> Danish children all learn good Danish and become fluent readers.
>>> -- Brian MacWhinney

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
home page:	  http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder