"Being bilingual may delay Alzheimer's and boost brain power..."

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon Feb 21 22:08:19 UTC 2011

Dear Brian--

Of course, tho I really don't know for sure, I suppose for lack of an
adequate sample? Fr. Matteo Ricci, SJ (1552-1610), who opened China for
the Jesuits & became a revered Sinologist, dies at 58 (see J. Spence's
"The Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci", NY: Viking, 1984). And he was a
noted Menemonist too, plenty of hippocampus exercises, using the old
medieval system of planting texts along complex locations (like Luria's
patient in "The Mind of the Mnemonist"). My late friend & benefactor Jon
Verhaar, SJ, certainly a fluent Dutch-German-English-Indonesian-Latin
speaker, died at the age of ca. 75 (tho his mother lived to be 98; I
don't think she was multilingual, tho). My Jesuit friend Augustino
Gianto, SJ  in the Vatican, a terrific multilingual Semitic scholar, is
only in his 50s, I think, and thus not yet a proper data point for
Jesuits. Finally, just to skew the sample a bit, my mother will be 100
in October & still got a mind like a steel trap, can remind you of your
most trivial sins going back to antiquity, still thinks she rules the
Universe. And bingo, she used to be fluent in Spanish, Bulgarian,
Russian, French, Italian and Hebrew. So she seems ti beat all the
Jesuits I know & admire. You reckon. Cheers,  TG