Funknet list admin and netiquette

Robert Englebretson reng at rice.edu
Mon Feb 28 15:27:32 UTC 2011

Dear List Members,

Given some questions I have received recently in my role as Funknet's list
admin, I thought it was time to send out a reminder about the administration
of this list, as well as a few points of netiquette common to e-mail lists
more generally.

First, here are the e-mail addresses and web URL you need to interact with
Funknet.

subscribed to the list: funknet at mailman.rice.edu
The address to contact me, the list admin: funknet-owner at mailman.rice.edu
The address to use for Mailman commands (e.g. 'subscribe', 'unsubscribe',
etc.): funknet-request at mailman.rice.edu
To access Funknet's web administrative interface, visit:
Among other things, this page allows you to subscribe or unsubscribe from
the list, to update your e-mail address, to change your subscription options
(such as 'vacation mode' or 'digest mode'), to reset or retrieve your
Mailman password, to view list archives, and to find the addresses for
posting to the list or for contacting the admin.

IF you ever need the above information in the future, remember that it also
can be found in the message header of each e-mail you receive from
Funknet--but you will have to view 'full headers' or the 'message source' to
see it.

Please remember that Funknet is an unmoderated list.  This means that no one
reads or filters or approves your posts before the Mailman software
processes them and sends them along to all 1070+ list members.  Mailman does
catch spam and junkmail from non-subscribers, as well as the occasional
admin request that a subscriber may accidentally send to the list.  Funknet
list admin is strictly a volunteer position in the midst of the usual busy
academic work schedule, and I simply don't have time to run Funknet as a
moderated list.  We trust Funknet members to 'moderate' their own posts, and
to observe basic netiquette.
- Do not 'flame' other list members
- Refrain from posting off-topic messages.  The purpose of this  list is to
discuss issues in functional linguistics (broadly construed)
- do not reply to off-topic messages on the list (what you write to someone
off-list is your own business of course!)
- Don't send 'test' messages or other 'administrivia' to the list
- Keep the subject line relevant to the message topic (especially important
if you're replying to a message in 'digest mode')
While this is not a moderated list, I do have the ability to put individual
members on moderated status (meaning I have to manually approve anything
they send to Funknet)--and I have done so for people who repeatedly violate
any of the above basic netiquette.  Fortunately in the last decade of
running the list, I've only had to resort to this on two occasions.

If you ever do have any questions, or run into problems with the list or
your subscription, please don't hesitate to e-mail me!  I make a point of
responding to e-mails within 24 hours (although if I'm traveling, it may be
slightly longer).  Just FYI, here are the two most common scenarios that
people tend to e-mail me about:

(1) "I just got this automated e-mail from funknet-bounces saying my posting
has been rejected, and that I'm not allowed to post to the list.  But I'm
receiving messages just fine, and I've been subscribed for 20 years, so I
don't understand why I can't post!"  I typically get several such messages
each month--unfortunately sometimes not nearly as polite as the above
scenario.  Invariably, if you receive an automated message saying that
you're not allowed to post, the reason is that you are trying to send from
an address that is different from your subscription address.  Usually this
happens because (1) you're sending from an alias rather than your actual
e-mail address, or (2) your university changed the format of your e-mail
address (e.g. no longer includes the hostname in the address), but you did
not update this for the address on file with the Mailman server.  If this
ever happens to you, either visit the Funknet web interface and fix it
yourself, or e-mail me to do it for you.

(2) "I'm sending a bunch of pictures and PDF files to Funknet, but my
message keeps being rejected with an error saying something about an
'invalid part'."  Funknet is set so as to disallow messages with
attachments.  There are at least two good reasons for this:  (1) this is to
prevent subscribers whose e-mail account has been hacked from inadvertently
e-mailing a virus to everyone on the list; the 'no attachments' policy has
prevented this from happening at least three times during the past decade.
(2) A number of Funknet subscribers are on slower connections, or in places
where they have to pay for their e-mail by the kilobyte; disallowing
attachments is a basic courtesy for such subscribers.  If you feel you need
to share a PDF or other large file with the list, it's best to put it on a
web site and send the URL to the list instead of sending the attachment.

In general, the Funknet admin policy is to be as hands-off as possible!  But
the list does in fact have an admin, and you're welcome to contact me at
funknet-owner at mailman.rice.edu if you ever have any questions or need
assistance with the list.

Best,
--Robert Englebretson