teaching foreign languages at an early age

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Jan 12 01:42:38 UTC 2011

Well, maybe it is also worth mentioning that when you get into
Catalunia, you get into thick layers of language politics and liberation
ideology. So sometimes it is not all that easy to tell when the science
ends and something else begins. Of course, Catalunia is not the only
place where this can be observed. But once you get into the convoluted
relations between a dominant/imperial language and an
indigenous/liberation language, it becomes harder to do simple science.
People have all kinds of axes to grind. Our earlier discussion last year
about the Israeli-Arabic situation certainly overlapped with these
issues. I am not so worried about the oft-subconscious effect of
socio-linguistic factors on SLA. This should be studied as part of
science. It is the deliberate ideologs that scare me.  Best,  TG