teaching foreign languages at an early age

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Jan 12 11:25:18 UTC 2011

I suppose I should have indicated by some graphemic means that I was
using the terms 'imperial' and 'liberation' tongue in cheek. I think
they pretty much characterize the ideological position of many of my
Catalan friends. But as is the case in at least one other region in
Spain, the ideological/national aspirations of one group cut into the
legitimate rights of another. Internal migration ('imperialism' to some)
in Spain has made all AutonomIas linguistically mixed. It is fun to
speak Anzaluz with the taxistas in Barcelona, and once you get them
going, they will tell you their tale of woes about Catalan linguistic
nationalism. It is not that in Anzaluzia people don't poke fun at the
way NorteNos speak, but at least they don't curtail their civil rights.
These are all subtle details of multilingualism (tho Andaluz is not
recognized as a language). My point remains tho, that once you get in
the midst of ideological nationalist zealotry, science becomes murky.
Best,  TG

=========