teaching foreign languages at an early age

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Wed Jan 12 14:25:17 UTC 2011

It's nice to see people recognizing that there is such a thing as talent,
after years of the pretense that all native speakers of a language have
equal proficiency, and that everything depends on exposure.

However, I think we also have to recognize that the degree of difficulty
post puberty in the acquisition of fluency in a new language depends not
only on the level of exposure and the specific internal motivation of the
learner, but also on the extent to which the new language differs from the
languages that learner acquired fluency in, pre-puberty.

It can't be very hard to learn Spanish, if you already speak Portuguese,
or to pick up Italian if you already speak Spanish, but when the languages
are not closely related, and also not typologically similar, it's more of
a challenge. I found that picking up Russian post puberty was easy, because
somehow there's a structural similarity to Hebrew, but also because I had
a good teacher. German was harder to become fluent in, even though it's
related to English, and I spoke English fluently. Picking up a tone
language in middle age for the very first time is really hard. Sometimes
what we think is talent has a little more to do with similarity to a
familiar language. We piggy back what we can onto existing structures in
the brain, building new ones only when absolutely necessary.

    --Aya