teaching foreign languages at an early age

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Mon Jan 17 13:59:11 UTC 2011

Johanna,

German and English are bad examples of "similar" languages, because
despite the genetic relationship, they are very different structurally,
and so the only thing that is helpful for English speakers in German are
a few stray lexical cognates. That doesn't help achieve grammatical fluency.

Sometimes two languages can have some degree of structural similarity and
not be genetecally related at all (at least in any way that's attested.)

I started studying Russian in college, as a minor. I was able to speed
through the beginning material really fast, because something about
Russian was very familiar. I'd never spoken any other Slavic language, and
yet the syntax more or less made sense, and I had no trouble putting
together a sentence that didn't sound strange. The accent was also easy to
pick up. Some things, like case and aspect, were not as familiar, but not
hard to learn. After only about two years of study, I could converse and
pass myself off as, if not exactly a "Russian", a Ukrainian. ;->

At the time, I was an adult, and I considered myself to be "talented" at
languages. Most people who knew me thought so, too. I got a degree in
foreign languages, with a concentration in French and a minor in Russian
and German.

Then I went to law school and didn't do anything with languages for
about twelve years, then went back to grad school, got a Ph.D. in
linguistics, and eventually a job teaching in Taiwan. I went there
believing that I was good at languages, and that I would be fluent in a
matter of months. It didn't work out that way. Here are some of the
factors that may have made the difference:

    * I was thirty-eight when I arrived. I think brain plasticity changes
over time, and someone who is able to pick something up fast at eighteen
or twenty or even twenty-eight isn't as good at it at thrity-eight or
forty.

    * I had a full time job and no time to play. I didn't socialize
outside the workplace or explore after hours. I was too exhausted.

    * Eventually I had a baby to take care of as well as a job, as well as
old business in the states.

    * Mandarin is very different from the languages I had known previously.
It wasn't a superficial fit with some other language I knew. It was my
first tone language, and I could not seem to open a new category for tone,
even though I could mimic the sounds well.

These are some of the factors that go in to making someone appear to be
"talented" or not at language. For whatever it's worth, I did not speak
Mandarin like an American, and nothing about the way I used it suggested
that to the locals. Instead, one merchant asked me if I was Korean!

I don't know much about Catalan, but I am wondering if there might not be
some grammatical or areal feautures of the language that might make Arabic
not that hard to learn, if you already speak Cat. After all, Spanish had
some Arabic influence in it in general, and I imagine that all languages
spoken on the Iberian peninsula have Semitic influences from both the
moorish conquests and the earlier Carthaginian occupation.

When we are talented at something, there is usually a reason
for it, even if we don't know what that reason is. Chances are it has more to
do with function, and less to do with labels.

Best,

     --Aya

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Learn-a-Foreign-Language-Issues-in-Second-Language-Acquisition-and-Pedagogy

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Once-and-Future-Nanny