teaching foreign languages at an early age

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Mon Jan 17 21:51:52 UTC 2011

As an extreme example of this, there are a number of things about Chinese
which made it feel particularly easy to me as an English speaker. It has no
grammatical gender (as a native English speaker, when I'm speaking a language
like Hebrew or Spanish I not infrequently 'forgot' about which grammatical
gender the antecedent of a pronoun is and use the wrong one--of course I know
in principle which one to use but in running conversation I just don't pay much
attention because I don't instinctively track the gender of inanimate objects).
It has diphthongs galore, many sounding very similar to English diphthongs. The
serial verb constructions usually wind up decomposing and expressing meaning in
a way parallel to English verb plus particle combinations. Same dummy for
existential constructions ('you' in Chinese). Even the /r/ sounds much like
English /r/ (obviously more frication, but the same general idea). (On the
other hand, writing is another matter...). Of course these are just
coincidences, but it's still very helpful.
John