Dog Might Provide Clues on How Language Is Acquired - NYTimes.com

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Jan 18 20:04:55 UTC 2011

I don't think there is any doubt that dogs who live with humans comprehend
much of what is said around them. I've known dogs who were bilingual who
understood things that were said, when other humans in the room who did
not speak the language in question didn't understand. The problem with all
this evidence? It's anecdotal.

There is the opposite problem with the experiment described here.
In this type of set-up, all the evidence is predictable and rote.
The experiment described in the NYTimes article did not teach the dog to
comprehend by rote: the dog was trained to obey by rote.

The problem with this kind of experiment is that it doesn't seem to
distinguish comprehension from obedience. The way the dog proves
comprehension is by fetching an item. (The assumption being, if he didn't
fetch it, we have no proof of comprehension.)

As an aside, all the words for "objects" in the experiment are really
being used as commands. Sue Savage-Rumbaugh made a very big point that if
a chimp uses "apple" to ask for an apple, this does not mean that he
understands that apple also refers to an apple in a different kind of
context.

It's easy to get chimps in experimental settings to ask for things, and
it's easy to get dogs (of certain breeds) to fetch things, but what is not easy
is to prove comprehension when uncoupled from obedience or someone asking
someone else to do something.

I don't doubt that the dog in question understands the words. I'm just
saying there is something wrong with our standards of proof.

     --Aya