recent paper (Dunn et al. in Nature)

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 11 11:46:40 UTC 2011

I think Florian makes some very good points, and I am looking forward to
reading the actual studies he cited. My concern with our (all of us's)
functional theories is that they are usually observations about the
final (synchronic) product of the protracted diachronic process(es) that
create grammatical structures. From my perspective, we need to look at
how functional-adaptive factors operate during the process itself. In
other words, we need to find a way of studying the mechanisms (and exact
loci) where universal principles exert their influence on emerging
structures. As we operate now, a lot of our functional observation are
both ad-hoc & post-hoc. This of course reminds me of the "iconicity era"
of the 1980s, when we were busy observing that the resultant emerging
structures were "iconic", but paid no attention to the biological
processes via which such iconicity arose. So for those of you who would
like to consider themselves "cognitive", this is, to my mind, the real
challenge. And obviously, experimental studies of on-line behavior are a
big chunk of trying to understand the mechanisms of emergence. TG