Dunn et al.'s lineage-specific linkages

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Jul 12 05:51:16 UTC 2011

Yes, Brian, you're right: This is the one thing in the paper that seems
to be somewhat unexpected. And you're right that one conceivable
explanation of such "lineage-specific linkages" is that they are really
typological linkages after all (and thus not really not
lineage-specific): If a language has noun-like adjectives, it might be
expected to treat its adjectives like genitives also for word order.

But in reality, a better explanation seems to be language contact:
Languages that belong to the same lineage are also usually spoken in
geographic vicinity and are thus likely to be in contact with their
relatives. In fact it seems that most of the word order changes that can
be seen in the Austronesian, Indo-European and Uto-Aztecan data are in
fact due to contact influence.

Martin